Thursday, July 29, 2010

Watermelons & Crazy Old Men

By now, my readers (if there are any) know that I'm a southern girl. In keeping with that, one wouldn't find it surprising to know that my day consisted of picking watermelons. It was god awful hot today. High 94 degrees F, Low 68 degrees F. Out in the field with the sun beating down, it sure does seem a lot hotter than 94 degrees. But, here we are moving along through the field finding these watermelons and loading them on the truck. We were almost finished with when this crazy old man came out. Apparently, he shared part of this patch with the guy who owned the land for his garden and while we checked before we drove through it, we supposedly ran over his garden and "plum rurnt" it. We accidentally ran over 2 stalks of okra and we by no means "rurned" them. We apologized and were trying to be civil but it's hard to be nice to a man who's cussing you and waving a sharp rake at you. Fortunately for him, the old man finally dropped the subject and went back into his house. There were 2 grown men out in the field plus 3 teenage boys as well as myself and 2 others. He was easily outnumbered. But, one would have to understand the mentality of 65+ year old men in the south. They think they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof no matter what their age is. It's actually quite amusing. We finally got finished for the day after this little incident. We loaded 250+ watermelons between 2 trucks. I felt as though I was going to pass out it was so hot. I've come to the conclusion that either the watermelons have gotten larger over the years of I have gotten smaller. No, no... I'm fully aware that I don't have the energy or the strength that I did when I was younger. But, I still try because I'm not one to give up. Sadly, I had to give up after about 45 minutes in the heat today. But, I did my part the best I could.

I have a ton of class work to finish this weekend before I leave for Myrtle Beach. Plus, I have a little more laundry and packing to do as well. I need to clean my car out for the trip plus do a check up on tires, oil... etc. But, it's gonna be good. :)

- PRiLA

No comments: